Bye Bye Razor Burn, Hello Apple Cider Vinegar!


You know what sucks? Razor burn. I've tried quite a few products throughout the last few years to try and get rid of this problem and I've finally found my go to product, apple cider vinegar (ACV). As someone who has sensitive skin, hair removal is always an issue (shaving, waxing, epilating, all of it!). As you can imagine, my legs aren't too much of a problem but when it comes to underarms and the bikini area, the razor is not my best friend. The worst of the worst are bikini rashes. Undies rub on the already irritated area all day long which just aggravates it even more. Because it is obviously an area that doesn't get much air to begin with, it takes an even longer time for the irritated skin to heal. During this time, you may experience itching and discomfort. There are of course products out there like Bikini Zone which claim to rid you of these problems however my experience with them has been a negative one. Prior to using ACV, I used hydrocortisone to soothe the skin and help the healing process but I have definitely found better luck with ACV.

You will need:
  1. ACV - I definitely recommend buying Bragg's apple cider vinegar. You can read all about it online and I've found it at most grocery stores I go to. If you do not have access to Bragg's ACV, just make sure that you are purchasing the good stuff. Bragg's is also really inexpensive!
  2. Cotton pads/balls
Directions:
  1. After the hair removal method of your choice, simply take a cotton pad or cotton ball, saturate it with ACV, and apply the ACV to those areas needing it. It is important to note that you are applying an acidic product onto irritated skin so it may burn for a moment (so do this at your own risk).
Apple cider vinegar helps because it is a natural antiseptic. As with any skin that is irritated, it is possible for it to get easily infected. ACV prevents that from happening and it prevents the accumulation of bacteria. All in all, it has many positive benefits. When using over the counter products to get rid of razor burn, what you are doing is basically keeping your symptoms at bay. We apply creams to help reduce the itching and burning however they usually don't help in the healing process. ACV not only immediately provides relief from itching, but it aids the skin in healing. I couldn't recommend it more :)

Check back for more on ACV in the future!

9 comments:

  1. Oooh, this is a great tip! You described my post-bikini shaving woes to a T, complete with undies rubbing against the irritated area all day, LOL ;)

    I'm definitely going to try this next time - love ACV for so many other reasons, and glad to find a new one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know all too well from experience, I just had to share! I would love to hear how this works out for you! It honestly has been so wonderful for me so I definitely want to know how it works for others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying this right now. I will definitely bare the burning if it helps heal my hidious bikini razor burn. I've been trying a lot of natural remedies lately, including using raw honey as a facial cleaner! And so far I've seen a lot of improvement on my breakouts. :)

    So here's how it went: I applied it, it stung a little, I let it dry and air out with I relaxed with no underwear or pants. The area got really red at first... two minutes later, my skin wasn't red, and the razor burn bumps shrunk in half! This really helped, and I'm going to continue using this until they are fully healed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use it after I line up my haircuts. When I use it, the bumps shrink in size almost immediately upon application. I usually dilute the acv in water first though. I also find that if you apply it immediately after shaving as a preventative measure, it burns significantly less (sometimes none at all). The burn, when it happens, usually doesn't linger for very long unless you've let the bumps linger for awhile before treatment.

    Baking soda also works (diluted 1 tbs in 1 cup of water) but it is not quite as effective as acv. It doesn't burn though. A paste may be more effective, but I haven't personally tried that for this purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, this is a great tip! Apple cider always does the wonder in my razor burn.
    how to use apple cider vinegar for hair

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did this and my bikini line and underarms are so damn soft holy crap

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does this work on your face after waxing.
    Been a few days after waxing. Now have bumps and redness

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even if you search for the best men’s electric shaver for women’s legs, you will get a great list of suggestions. best lady shaver 2019

    ReplyDelete